Error

Kunena Internal Error: Please contact the site administrator to fix this issue!

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/club35457288/public_html/libraries/kunena/forum/announcement/helper.php on line 141

Submit YOUR photos to the club shows

More
4 years 10 months ago #82 by parkphotos
parkphotos created the topic: Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
Last night I left Ray and LuAnn at our Penn State drop off at 5:40ish and they were waiting for more members to show up with submissions to our show. The photos that lay on the accepted table looked great, but I noticed that only a small number of members submitted photos. This is puzzling in a club that is all about photography. I wondered about the reasons and thought of suggestions, and maybe we can discuss them at our next meeting.

Perhaps we should form a committee of members willing to help others select, prepare and/or submit photos. The process of creating photos has 3 stages: the taking, the making and the presentation. The committee I'm proposing pertains to the Presentation phase and would include help with presenting photos online as well as in printed form. It could help with any portfolio-building and show preparations. The committee would be available to answer questions from where to purchase frames to how to get them to drop-off points.

There are probably a lot of us who just can't make it to the drop off because of time constraints or whatever. There are some of us willing and able to help you. For example, I could collect photos at your convenience up until the day of submission from all of the folks "down this way" in Wilkes Barre, and haul them to the venue for you. The committee could keep a list of those willing to offer similar help in other areas.

Another factor regarding the lack of submissions at this show may be the timing of the Fine Arts Fiesta. Not everyone has enough frames to submit to both shows. I have extra frames and I'm sure others with the club do too. The committee could also keep a list of members willing to help on the phone, online and in-person with every part of the presentation process.

Sharing our photos and the processes involved in obtaining them is tantamount to the intent of our club. We are all teachers and students of the same craft, and sharing the thrill of the taking, the excitement of the making and the pride and fear of presentation is a great tool in our education. Ya gotta get into it before you get anything out of it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #83 by jjasinski
jjasinski replied the topic: Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
I have some suggestions: (1) Wave the fee for all members who submit for the firs time. It seems that the club can afford this.
(2) Guarantee one photo accepted for all members who submit two or more. Try this just for one show and see what happens. (3) Put the show on the Club Website (sorry VB :)) Make it public for all visitors to see. If photo is for sale, post the price framed and print only.

More
4 years 10 months ago #84 by jostat
jostat replied the topic: Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
We should form a show committee. And, ask members why they do not submit. I suggest we have members write down why they do not. Some may not want to talk at a meeting in front of the group. I think a check list my help.
Examples:
I feel my work is not good enough
Dont know rules
no money for frames
no time to drop work off
Etc...
What do you think?

More
4 years 10 months ago #85 by vaibhavpbhosale
vaibhavpbhosale replied the topic: Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
Adding up show on the website is not a big task. I can set up that.

I have suggestion on having another monthly competition (web only) on website and have all the members vote. This will increase the participation and interest. Not all members make it to the meeting. We can also plan to get some gift card or prizes for winners.

More
4 years 10 months ago #86 by jjasinski
jjasinski replied the topic: Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
Good ideas Joe and VB. I would be just a little cautious with prizes of any monetary value. While it could increase participation, it may also change the relaxed character of the contest into a more competitive event. I can imagine complaints from some members like "this entry cannot win because it's not properly matted or it's wrong size or this pic was submitted last year, etc."

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #87 by parkphotos
parkphotos replied the topic: Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
Great suggestions, Jakub. Great idea, VB. Let's also add at least one more critique a month, and we could use Google Hangouts to keep it online. Perfect, Joe. The eventual committee will find that very helpful.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by parkphotos.

More
4 years 10 months ago #89 by vaibhavpbhosale
vaibhavpbhosale replied the topic: Re:Submit YOUR photos to the club shows
Forming the committee for this activity would be good idea and committee can come up with rules and prize ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk